Yesterday Superintendent Baker sent an Update regarding the ways that Windsor Southeast Supervisory Union is addressing the school closure. He indicated that schools have been directed by Governor Scott to provide services to children of essential persons during the school closure period in response to COVID-19. The governor’s guidance (found here) has a few key things that are important to note:
- During the Closure Period schools are directed to provide care to, at a minimum, enrolled students up to grade 8 and, where necessary, students from other schools or districts.
- Schools and child care centers should specify how parents and caregivers should communicate with them regarding their child care needs, and should work to calculate and plan for the number of children within their facility’s care that will need to be served.
- Schools shall offer care services during regular school hors and are strongly encouraged to develop plans that continue after-school services to children of Essential Persons.
In an effort to begin planning for this service, please review the definition of Essential Persons below:
“Essential Persons” are defined as:
- staff and providers of child care and education services (including custodial and kitchen staff and other support staff) for children of other Essential Persons, including custodial and kitchen staff;
- providers of healthcare including but not limited to workers at clinics, hospitals, Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHCs); nursing homes, long-term care and post-acute care facilities, respite houses, VNAs;
- designated agencies, emergency medical services;
- criminal justice personnel including those in law enforcement, courts, and correctional services; public health employees; firefighters; Vermont National Guard personnel called to duty for this response; other first responders; and
- state employees determined to be essential for response to this crisis by the State Emergency Operations Center.
If you meet the definition and will be in need of child care for your child(ren) please complete the attached survey - https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/C6X3BLC
Upon reviewing the results of this survey, additional communication regarding the details of the childcare program will be provided. Please help us support the child care needs of our Essential Persons by spreading the word of this survey. Forward this email or find the survey at our website: https://www.wsesu.net/supervisory-union/covid-19.
Please direct any questions to Angie Ladeau at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Director of Curriculum
Windsor Southeast Supervisory Union