Dear Parents and Caregivers:
I hope you all got a chance to relax with your families this week. You all deserve a break. Enjoy this last weekend and we will start school again on Monday. I just wanted to share a few updates before the week started:
- Weathersfield News: You may have heard by now that Weathersfield has chosen a new principal who will begin work on July 1, 2021. Brian comes to us with K-8 principal experience in several schools in California. He has a wife and two children and they want them to attend one of our schools. They flew in last Sunday and spent the week. They love the area. It reminded me that we often take for granted the gift we have in Vermont. The rest of the country is noticing. Congratulations to the whole Weathersfield community for an excellent choice!
- 7th/8th Grade Basketball Clinics: While HS Athletics has been up and running for some time now, many of our JH parents have been asking for an outlet for their student-athletes. We are happy to announce we will be offering 7th/8th grade basketball clinics on Saturdays (Girls 9AM-10:30; Boys 10:30AM-Noon) in Windsor HS Gym. This is open to ALL 7th/8th grade students in our SU. Just like our HS teams, masks are required and no one is allowed in the gym except the coaches and the players. See the attached flyer for more details and register your student here. The coaches running the clinics for the girls will be Kabray Rockwood & Randy Rupp and Larry Dougher & Win Townsend for the boys.
- Vaccines: The vaccines are moving right along. Many of our staff will have the opportunity to be vaccinated in the next few months along with many in our community. We know there is some anxiety about the vaccination. Science tells us that we need to get to over 80% "herd immunity" before we can loosen up the restrictions. Science also tells us that the vaccine is over 90% effective and safe for adults. So let's take on the challenge and get this Pandemic behind us.
- School Meetings: Please be reminded that we have two Annual School Meetings coming up. Mount Ascutney meets at 7:00 PM on Thursday evening, February 25th (Link) and Weathersfield has their Annual Meeting on Saturday, February 27th at 10:00 AM (Link). Many staff members are community voters as well. Please attend and please vote on March 2nd. You can request an Absentee Ballot from the respective Town Clerks. Hartland has postponed their meeting until May.
- Travel: I hope we all followed travel restrictions this past week. If not, you need to let your school nurse know ASAP to decide on quarantine and testing protocols. I assume everyone behaved.
- Last Day: As a final note, I want to make sure that we all know the current last day of school since we have had some old fashion snow days and we only have to do 170 student days this year. Our last day is on June 10th provided we have no additional snow days. In an effort to avoid extending further into June, we may try to do remote learning if we have advanced notice about a pending storm. We will keep you posted. Windsor High School graduation remains on June 4th. We will do everything in our power to have graduation in person. I know how important this is to our seniors. The other school graduations and step-up days will be announced by the building principals soon. Stay tuned!
I think that is it for now. I hope you are getting a chance to watch the Windsor Varsity Basketball teams home games on the Windsor Boys and Girls YouTube pages (Click that Subscribe button!). The boys had a great game against Hartford last night and the girls play Hartford tonight, go Lady Jacks! Enjoy the rest of the break and we will see you soon! Stay safe and stay healthy!
Dr. David Baker
Windsor Southeast Supervisory Union