WSESU and Vermont’s Vision for Quality Professional Development
Quality professional development has the power to increase an educator’s knowledge of academic content and teaching skills, all while changing what the educator believes about student learning and how they interact with each student. Powerful professional development can transform a school into a place where all adults and students are deeply engaged in learning and making meaning of their lives. Specifically this means that:
The entire school community, including teachers, administrators, school board, parents, and community members, acknowledge that ongoing professional learning is essential to student success.
- All WSESU schools have comprehensive professional development plans that are aligned with the SU plan based upon student learning data which will strengthen educator knowledge of content and teaching skills enabling the school to meet student learning and improvement goals.
- All educators have individual professional development plans based upon student learning data linked to student learning and school improvement plan goals.
- Professional development is focused, developmentally appropriate, ongoing, sustained over time, and progressive.
- Professional development experiences are varied and collaborative, including practice of new knowledge and skills with feedback and reflection.
- Professional development is regularly evaluated to ensure experiences are high quality. Learning is research based and meets plan goals.
- Learning from professional development is shared among staff and supported through coaching and supervision and evaluation.
- Professional development is planned, implemented, and evaluated in accordance with Vermont’s Professional Development Standards found here.